In 1759, during the French and Indian War, Roger's Rangers were chased into the Crystal Lake - Barton area, according to the history books. It is believed that Robert Roger was familiar with this area at the age of fifteen, and that he participated in and helped lead the raid on St. Francis in Canada.
At one time, there was a granite quarry on the east side of Crystal Lake. Near the turn of the century, steamboats barged stones across the lake. The park's beach house was made of granite quarried beside the lake. It was constructed in the late thirties by the CCC. It has a very unusual architectural design and received prominent recognition the year it was built.
Crystal Lake is approximately three miles long and about one mile in width. In some places it is known to be more than 100 feet deep. It is a glacial lake beautifully situated among roughhewn mountain sides.
The beach area has almost a mile of sandy shoreline with a marked swimming area. The large historic granite bathhouse has rest rooms, changing areas, and a concession stand. There are approximately 40 free standing charcoal grills, nearly 80 picnic tables, play areas, rental boats and canoes, and lots of parking space.