Information on:

Lake Tahoe Nevada State Park - Cave Rock


In 1967, the Nevada Legislature transferred title of the Cave Rock boat launch and parking area to the Nevada State Park System. Official dedication of the Lake Tahoe Nevada State Park took place on October 1, 1979. Since then, the Cave Rock boat landing has become a very popular recreational site on Lake Ta­hoe’s east shore. The facility has been designed to accommodate day use recreational activities includ­ing boating, fishing, swimming, scuba diving and beach day-use. The beach at the south end of the park accommodates and launched craft such as canoes, kayaks and non-motorized rafts. The double boat launch at the north end of the park accommodates motorized watercraft.

Apart from its role in historic legend and economic development and tourism, Cave Rock had been an im­pediment to early lakeshore transportation. Cave Rock carries several distinct but overlapping historic travelways over, around and through its edifice. The Old Washoe “Indian Trail” and Johnson’s Cut-Off road over Cave Rock; the Lake Tahoe Wagon Road and lin­coln Highway around Cave Rock; and the Glenbrook National Forest Highway and U.S. Highway 50 through tunnels con­structed in 1931 and 1957.

On February 9, 1997 the United States Forest Service issued a “Temporary Closure Order for Archaeological Protection” prohibiting any form of activi’ employing rock climbing equipment. On September 2, 2003 climbing was prohibited under all circumstances.

Lake Tahoe Nevada State Park - Cave Rock is not affiliated with AmericanTowns Media