The Rockport area was colonized in 1860. It was named for the rock fort built to protect settlers from Indian uprisings. About 200 people lived there until the land was purchased in 1957 by the U.S. Bureau of Reclamation for construction of the Wanship Dam. Rockport Reservoir is about three miles long and one-half mile wide. At an elevation of over 6,000 feet, it covers more than 500 acres.
Many wildlife species call Rockport home. They include mule deer, chipmunks, jackrabbits, cottontails, yellowbelly marmots, badgers, raccoons, weasels, fox and Uinta ground squirrels. Elk, moose, coyote, bobcat and cougar live in the area, but are seldom seen.
Opened to the public as a state park in 1966.
Park Elevation: 6,000 feet
Park Acreage: 770
Surface Water Acreage: 1,080